The overriding purpose of the project is to contribute actively to an increased value creation in the region in relation to exploitation of offshore wind energy.
In addition to the overriding purposes, the project includes a number of partial purposes including creation of a transboundary transparency with regard to the offers which are provided in the region in Denmark and Germany – both at the companies and at the university- and research institutes. In the same way, after expiry of the project, there shall be more transparency on completed and ongoing research projects with public subsidies on Danish and German side - of benefit to both parties. In this connection, the FINO3-research platform, which is located directly at the Danish-German border, plays a special role as it serves as an example to demonstrate the reciprocal use-value of the spread of the research results. In this connection, all university- and research institutes in the region are registered and described.
By comparing the region's needs within offshore wind energy and within transport and logistics with the existing offers, this need shall contribute to utilise the future opportunities. In this connection, particularly the work, which has already been carried out by Windcomm e V.’s port cooperation "Offshore- Häfen Nordsee", is drawn on by entering the status into a Danish-German context.
First and foremost it should be easy to companies to get access to - including also transboundary – appropriate skills and equipment resources and to build contacts. The head start of experiences within offshore wind energy on the Danish side shall be of benefit to the entire region via an active network which is spread and used in the cooperation.
Another partial purpose is the establishment of an active Danish-German network within offshore wind energy, which is kept attractive by using modern marketing methods. Newly developed offers for academic further education in the Interreg-region shall result in a sustainable positive development into labour market. Academics, who have been educated and have upgraded their skills there, remain in the region after having graduated. The domestic industry will be benefitting from their well-founded knowledge.
The GADOW project shall create a transboundary Danish-German network, which is intended for the needs of the offshore wind energy industry in particular. In spite of a lot of networking activities within wind energy in both Germany and Denmark, there are still no transboundary networks between the two countries. An additional problem is the lack of transboundary knowledge of current research projects regarding the subject offshore wind energy and the results hereof. Exactly, for the southern part of Denmark and the northern part of Schleswig-Holstein (Interreg 4a-region) offshore wind energy is, however, a future industry which promises extremely high growth and hence job market potentials. Because Denmark has decided at an early stage to give up nuclear energy for energy production, Denmark has, compared to other countries - including Germany - a head start with regard to the experience and development of offshore wind energy. These experiences are not least the result of the operation of platforms for oil and gas exploration over the last 40 years and in relation to the offshore wind industry, the Danish oil and gas industry has a technical head start i.e. in areas of corrosion and environment.
1) Analysis of the entire chain of value creation of the offshore wind energy from planning, over expansion of the net, construction on sea and to operation. This is made from July 2012 to March 2013. (Work package 1).
2) Comparison of results from the above mentioned analysis with the results from the mapping of the needs so that it becomes visible where and in which areas the future needs of the region can be met and where they cannot be met. From January 2013 to June 2013 (Work package 1).
3) From January 2012 to May 2012, the current situation of all offshore supply ports in the Danish-German border region is mapped.
4) Preparation of a list of criteria which reflects the requirements exemplarily and prioritised, if appropriate. It is about criteria such as the length of access roads, opportunity for expansion, connection to shore, etc. Moreover, distinction is made between the applicability as ”building port” and ”operating- and service port”. (Work package 2).
5) Completion of a transboundary registration of university- and research institutes with research- and development capacities. In the description, great emphasis is placed on the information hierarchy which is important to the companies. This is completed during the first eight months of 2012. (Work package 3).
6) Exchange of research results within offshore wind energy particular in consideration of the research projects, which are completed on the research platform FINO3. July 2012 to September 2013. (Work package 3).
7) From July 2013 and until completion of the project, systematic identification of completed research projects within offshore wind energy shall be made and these shall be made available to the network partners. (Work package 3).
8) From May 2012 to October 2012, all the existing offers for academic further education within the wind industry are registered and analysed, particularly with regard to the subject offshore (Work package 4)
9) From September 2012 to May 2013, a profile of the required/lack of offers within academic further education is made. (Work package 4).
10) In 2013, a concept for preparation, organising and completion of offers for academic further education in the Interreg-region is developed. (Work package 4).
11) From October 2013 and until completion of the project, offers for academic further education in the Interreg-region are initiated and accompanied, in particular in relation to the subject offshore. (Work package 4).
12) Once a year, networking events shall be held partly to inform about the results of the project and partly through workshops to identify and implement additional project activities. At the beginning of 2013, active information of the offers begins according to the identified needs. (Business to Business meetings) (Work package 5).
13) The Business to Business meetings are held for the first time during autumn 2012 and the second time during autumn 2014. (Work package 5).
14) During duration of the entire project (01.01.2012–30.05.2015), PR-activities aimed at the general public are carried out. The results of the Work packages mentioned will actively be made available to the general public and network partners. (Work package 6).